Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Beetley

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

BEETLEY, a village and parish, 3 miles N. by W. of East Dereham, has 395 souls, and about 1800 acres. Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Lord Sondes, the Rev. Robt. Hankinson, and several smaller owners. The decayed parish of Bittering Magna was divided many years ago between Beetley and Gressenhall.

The Church (St. Mary Magdalen) is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 7s. 11d., and now having a yearly rent of about £500, awarded in 1844, in lieu of tithes. John Collison, Esq, is patron, and the Rev. Henry Collison, incumbent.

The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1775, is 20A., on which the poor turn asses and geese, and cut whins and turf. They have also £1. 12s. a year, left by Richard Farrar, out of land, now belonging to the Rev. Robt. Hankinson; and £2. 3s. 4d. yearly for distributions of bread, left by one Warner, out of land, now the property of Lord Sondes.

Directory:

	Doy     Robt.   blacksmith
	Holman  Geo.    shopkeeper
	Toplar  Wm.     blacksmith and vict., Punch Bowl
	Ward    Wm.     beer seller

	   farmers.

	Green   Philip
	Green   Wm.
	Hopson  Jas.
	March   Isaac
	Miles   Wm.
	Wells   Mary


See also the Beetley parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2004