[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BEESTON ST. ANDREW is a village and parish, 2½ miles west from Salhouse station on the Norwich and Cromer section of the Great Eastern railway and 3½ north-east from Norwich, in the Eastern division of the county, Taverham hundred and petty sessional division, St. Faith's union and Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.
There is no church; a thorn bush is planted where the foundations remain, and service used to be held on the spot once in the year. The living is a sinecure rectory, net yearly value £95, with 1 acre of glebe, in the gift of Sir Eustace Gurney M.A. of Sprowston Hall, and held since 1910 by the Rev. Archibald Reith M.A. of Glasgow University, who is also vicar of and resides at Sprowston.
Sir Thomas Barrett-Lennard bart. of Belhus Park, Essex, is lord of the manor. The chief part of the land belongs to the trustees of the late Rev. Cecil Mills M.A. (d.1908), and the Barnes trustees. The soil is light and mixed; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 638 acres; assessable value, £695; the population in 1911 was 82.
Letters through Norwich arrive at 8 a.m. Wall Letter Box cleared 5.50 & 9 p.m.; sundays, 9 p.m. Old Catton, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The children of this parish attend the schools at Crostwick & Rackheath.
Patteson Col. Henry Tyrwhitt Staniforth D.L., J.P., V.D. The Hall Goymer John gamekeeper to Sir E.P. Stracey bart Howes Thomas gardener to Col. H.T.S. Patteson D.L., J.P., V.D. Radford Sidney Francis farmer (letters through Rackheath) Tallowin Arthur H. farmer Tallowin Sidney farmer (letters through Crostwick)
See also the Beeston St Andrew parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.