BEECHAMWELL is a small village, 5 miles W.S.W. of Swaffham, in Swaffham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, South Greenhoe petty sessional division, Clackclose hundred, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, Fincham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 313 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3730 acres, and has a rateable value of £2942. The parish adjoins the Angle fosse and rampart, extending from Eastmore to Narborough. Joshua Fielden, Esq., is owner of the soil and lord of the manor. Beechamwell Hall is now tenanted by Reginald B. Heygate, Esq., who rents the shooting on the manor.
Here are two CHURCHES, dedicated to St. Mary and to All Saints; but the latter is in ruins, and its rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Shingham. Here was likewise a church dedicated to St. John, but it was taken down many years ago, and its benefice consolidated with St. Mary's. The church of St. Mary is a small structure, at the east end of the village, covered with thatch, and comprising nave, chancel, and north porch, with a tower round at the base and octagonal above. In the tower are two bells. The rectories of St. Mary and St. John were valued in the King's Book at £9 13s. 4d.
The Queen in Council, December 30, 1878, declared the rectory of All Saints, Beechamwell, with Shingham annexed, to be annexed to the rectory of St. Mary and St. John, Beechamwell, with an alternate presentation to the consolidated livings to the Lord Chancellor and Joshua Fielden, Esq., the lord of the manor, the first presentation upon the next vacancy to be in the gift of Joshua Fielden, Esq.
The Rev. George Roberts, rector of St. Mary and St. John, Beechamwell, was presented to the living of All Saints, Beechamwell, with Shingham annexed, by the Lord Chancellor, and thus became the first rector of the consolidated livings. The present value of the livings are as follows:- St. Mary and St. John, Beechamwell: tithe rent-charge, £176 5s.; glebe, 86 acres. All Saints, Beechamwell: tithe rent-charge, £123; glebe, 4 acres. Shingham tithe rent-charge, £108; glebe, 26 acres.
Here is a SCHOOL, built in 1835 by the late John Motteux, Esq., and enlarged in 1875.
Mr. Motteux left £100 three per cent. Consols for a yearly distribution of bread among the poor. £100, the purchase-money of 2 acres of land, formerly belonging to the poor, was in 1873 invested by the Charity Commissioners in three per cent. Consols for the benefit of the poor.
POST OFFICE at Mr. William Smith's. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m. and are despatched at 4.45 p.m., viâ Swaffham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Barkham William baker Battle Robt. farmer, Malt House farm Brooke Miss schoolmistress Crook Mrs Esgate Edward parish clerk Heygate Mr Reginald B. The Hall Mason Claxton B. farmer, St. John's farm, steward to J. Fielden, Esq. Pearce Alfred shoemaker Rackham William Able surgeon Rix Henry shopkeeper Roberts Rev. George, B.A. rector, The Rectory Smith Wm. blacksmith & beerhouse
Copyright © Pat Newby.