BEECHAMWELL is a village, with several neat cottages, five miles W.S.W. of Swaffham, having in its parish 246 inhabitants, and 4,100 acres of land, of which 2,000 form a healthy rabbit warren, adjoining the Saxon foss and rampart, extending from Eastmore to Narborough. The Hon. Charles Spencer Cowper is owner of the soil, and lord of the manor, and resides occasionally at the Hall, a small mansion near the village; but generally at Sandringham Hall.
Here are two CHURCHES, but that dedicated to All Saints is in ruins, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Shingham, in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Campbell.
Here was likewise a church dedicated to St. John, but it was taken down many years ago, and its benefice consolidated with St. Mary's, a small but neat structure, at the east end of the village, covered with thatch, and having a tower, round at the base, and octangular above. In the upper south window are the figures of St. Augustine and St. Dunstan, painted on the glass. A south aisle was added in 1832, and the whole was repewed in 1835.
The rectory of St. Mary and St. John, valued in the King's Book at £9 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £191, is in the patronage of the Hon. C.S. Cowper, and incumbency of the Rev. George Hogge, B.A.
Here is a school built in 1835, by the late John Motteux, Esq., who left £100 three per cent. Consols, for a yearly distribution of bread among the poor, who have also 7s. 6d. per annum, from a piece of land left by an unknown donor.
Chambers John farmer Cowper Hon. H.C. Hall Fuller John farmer Smith Wm. blacksmith
Copyright © Pat Newby.