BEDINGHAM, 4½ miles N.W. of Bungay, and 11 miles S. by E. of Norwich, is a parish in Loddon union, Beccles county court district, Loddon petty sessional division, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Loddon hundred, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 293 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1340 acres, and has a rateable value of £2155. Clement William Unthank, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief owner, but Thomas French, Esq., Miss Foster, and others, have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is an interesting structure of transitional architecture, and comprises nave with aisles and clerestory, south porch, chancel, and tower. The latter contains five bells, and is round at the base and octagonal above. There is an aumbry in the north and a stoup in the south aisle. The chancel screen is in a good state of preservation, and retains part of its gilding. In the chancel are sedilia and a piscina. The windows of the aisles are Perpendicular, and those on the north side contain some fragments of old painted glass. The chancel doorway is a fine specimen of the transition style, having a Pointed arch with well-executed mouldings and late Norman shafts and capitals. The north doorway is of similiar character.
The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Frederic Charles Toole Hobbins, A.K.C., and was augmented in 1778 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 of benefaction money, laid out in 14 acres of land at Pulham. C.W. Unthank, Esq., as principal impropriator of the great tithes, is the patron, on the nomination of the Bishop. There are seven other impropriators. The rectorial tithes were commuted in 1840 for £280 10s., and the vicarial for £142 10s. per annum. The vicarage house was built in 1844 at a cost of £631, and here are about 10 acres of glebe.
The School, with teacher's house annexed, is a neat building of coloured brick in the domestic Tudor style, and was built in 1863 at a cost of £450.
Woodton and Topcroft were anciently in this parish.
The Town Lands, 29A. 1R., formerly let for £49, applied in the service of the church; but the poor have a right to part of it. The poor have about £15 15s. a year from 10A. 1R. 8P. in Seething parish, left by William Purser in 1634; and 15s. a year left by Thomas Stone in 1687. The latter is paid by the lay rector, with 15s. for a sermon. Mary Button, in 1834, left one right of commonage at Bungay, the income of which, amounting to £2 a year, is distributed in bread on Good Friday; and Phœbe Gooch, in 1856, bequeathed £105 5s. 3d. three per cent. Consols, the interest of which (£3 3s.) is given in bread on Christmas Day.
POST OFFICE at Mr. S. Clark's. Letters, viâ Bungay, arrive at 8.30 a.m. and depart at 4.45 p.m.
Aldrich Arthur miller Baker Miss Susan schoolmistress Banham Robert farmer and overseer Bloomfield Joseph vict. Triple Plea Inn Burgess Benjamin, jun. farmer Cannell James farmer Cannell John farmer Cheney Fredk. farmer & tax collector Clark Samuel postmaster Fairhead Samuel parish clerk Hardy Wm. farmer, The Laurels Hobbins Rev. Frederic Chas. Toole, A.K.C. vicar, The Vicarage Legood George blacksmith Poll Robert Selim farmer Quadling Robert shopkeeper Rackham George farmer, Priory farm Unwin George farmer, Hall farm
"Hempnall is the nearest Money Order Office."
Copyright © Pat Newby.