[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BEDINGHAM, 4½ miles N.W. of Bungay, and 11 miles S. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish 316 souls, and 1,148 acres of land.
J. W. Gooch, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and impropriator of the great tithes. With the approval of the Bishop, he is also patron of the CHURCH, (St. Andrew,) which has a tower, round at the base, and octangular above. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £5, and in 1831 at £150, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Booth, LL.B. It was augmented in 1778, with £200 of Q.A.B., and £200 benefaction, laid out in 14A. of land at Pulham. A new vicarage house was erected in 1844.
Woodton and Topcroft were anciently in this parish. The Town Lands, 23A. 3R., are let for £30, applied in the service of the church;- but the poor have a right to part of it. The poor have about £12 a year from 8¾A. left by Wm. Purser, in 1634; and 15s. a year left by Thos. Stone, in 1687. The latter is paid by the lay rector, with 15s. for a sermon.
Booth Rev. Thos., LL.B., Vicarage Bailey Jas. vict., Tripple Plea Day Betsy schoolmrs. Everett Geo. miller Folkard Samuel blacksmith Palmer Robt. wheelwright farmers Banham Jas. jun. and sen. Banham Geo. Barber Thos. & John Barrett Robt. Burgess J. Cooper John Garnham Robt. Hammond Geo. Legood Wm. Poll Robert Spence John Thain John
See also the Bedingham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.