The CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave, chancel, and south porch. Over the latter is a wooden belfry, the western tower having fallen down many years ago. The perpetual curacy was augmented from 1790 to 1815, with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, partly laid out in 13 acres of land. It is now valued at £81 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward James Harper, M.A., of Barningham Town. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are also appropriators of the tithes, which were commuted in 1839 for £210 a year.
This parish is united with Bodham School Board.
The Poor's Land, 2A. 3R. 21P., was exchanged at the enclosure in 1842 for 4A. 2R. of common, which are let in allotments at small rents, producing about £2 per annum.
The account of ERPINGHAM UNION is delayed until North Walsham, as we have not yet been able to get the census figures for 1881 for this union, but hope to do so by the time we reach that place.
POST viâ Holt and East Dereham.
Bird Samuel Wells farmer Breese James carpenter Bunnfrey Mrs Mary victualler, Fighting Cocks Inn Chinery Miss Florence schoolmistress, Workhouse Coleman Stephen farmer Doughty Robt. carpenter & parish clerk Emery James farmer Everett John farmer Everett Mrs Sarah farmr.; h Bodham Gray Arthur blacksmith Harper Rev. Edward James, M.A. vicar; h Barningham Winter Pooley George porter, Workhouse Potter Thomas master, Workhouse Rackham Charles farmer Sharpen Miss Augusta matron, Workhouse Storey Miss Margt. nurse, Workhouse Yallop Geo. schoolmaster, Workhouse
In the first paragraph "read 'North Erpingham petty sessional division.'"
Copyright © Pat Newby.