Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Bayfield

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BAYFIELD, 2½ miles N.W. of Holt, is a small parish, united with Glandford for the support of the poor, and containing only 21 souls, and about 750 acres of land, in two farms, belonging to the wife of John Natl. Best, Esq., of Bayfield Hall, which has a beautiful park, in the vale of the river Glaven, near the ruins of the CHURCH (St. Margaret,) which is a sinecure rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, and in 1831 at £40. Mrs E.J. Best is patroness, and the Rev. Caleb Elwin, of Melton Constable, incumbent. The Lodge Farm is occupied by Robert Purdy.


See also the Bayfield parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2001