[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BAWDESWELL,a neat and pleasant village, with a good inn, on the Norwich and Fakenham road, 4 miles W. by S. of Reepham, has in its parish 582 souls, and 1163 acres. Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Robert Leeds, Esq., the Misses Lloyd, (of the Hall, built in 1683,) and a few smaller owners.
The ancient Church (All Saints,) of which the nave was destroyed by the fall of the steeple in 1739, was taken down in 1844, and rebuilt by subscription on a small scale, with only 317 sittings. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1844, at £330, is in the gift of E. Lombe, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Philip du Val Aufrere.
The FREE SCHOOL was founded in 1728, for 12 poor boys of this parish, and 8 of Foxley, by John Leeds, Esq., who endowed it with a house and 16A. 1R. 14P. of land, now let for £20. 19s. a year. It is now conducted as a National School, for about 70 children, and is held in the building which was erected in 1781 as a Workhouse for the parishes of Bawdeswell, Billingford, Bintree, Bylaugh, Foxley, Lyng, and Sparham, which are now in Mitford and Launditch Union. At the enclosure of Bawdeswell, in 1808, two acres were allotted as a gravel pit, and 35A. to the poor, who cut fuel upon it. The poor have also 20s. a year, left by Wm. Dewing, in 1719. Here is a small Methodist Chapel, erected in 1829.
Barrett Wm. beerhouse keeper Bear John saddler Bird John grocer and baker Browne James vict. Ram Inn Cannell Aquilla Wm. saddler Catton Mr George & Mr. Wm. Catton Maria grocer and draper Comer John blacksmith Cooper Harriet schoolmistress Darkins John tailor Elvin Wm. corn miller Gibbs Rev Wm. P., B.A. Kemp Rev Nunn R. P.,B.A. curate Leeds Robert, Esq. Leeds Chas. Bell Inn & Posting House Lincoln Eliz. straw hat & dress maker Lloyd Misses Eliza & Letitia Hall Pearse Robert butcher Pocklington Jph. National School Sussens Jph. plumber, painter, &c. Stonex Mrs Elizabeth Street Wm. grocer and draper Utting Rt. wheelwgt. & vict. Crown Whitrod Edm. blacksmith & wheelwright, Temperance Coffee House Whitesides Wm. grocer and baker FARMERS. * are Owners *Allen Charles Barker Thomas Bidwell Wm. *Bowman James Catton Wm. Custance James Haylett Stephen *Parke John Pearse Rt. buchr. Sizeland Charles Tann Benjamin Tann James Shoemakers. Bunn Robert Galland John Johnson James Ramm John
COACHES and Carriers to Norwich, &c. call at the Inns daily
See also the Bawdeswell parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.