[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BAWBURGH is a village and parish on both sides of the river Yare, 5 miles W. of Norwich, in Forehoe union, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, petty sessional division, and Forehoe hundred, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 419 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1373 acres, with a rateable value of £2496. The parish lies in Lord Stafford's manor of Costessey; but C.W. Unthank, Esq., owns nearly all the land.
The Hall, now a farm-house is an ancient Elizabethan building of stone, having in one of its rooms an oaken mantelpiece, with the face of a Bacchante in the centre, surrounded by clusters of vine leaves and grapes, most exquisitely and naturally carved. Near it is a remarkable stone tower, and also another square building, supposed to have been used by the pilgrims to St. Walstan's shrine. Here is a water mill for the manufacture of paper, and on the church-farm is St. Walstan's Well, supposed to possess extraordinary healing virtues.
The CHURCH (St. Mary and St. Walstan) was partly rebuilt in 1309, and thoroughly repaired in 1638. It comprises nave, chancel (restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1879), and round tower, and was either originally rebuilt or newly dedicated in 1016, shortly after the burial of St. Walstan. The porch was restored by the vicar in 1879. The upper part of the tower was long ago demolished, and replaced by a low conical roof covered with red tiles. The building is mostly Perpendicular, and contains a piscina, a fine carved screen, and some ancient stained glass, and a brass.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £13 7s. 6d., and is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Hicks Thomas Deacle, M.A. The rectorial tithes were commuted in 1839 for £251, and the vicarial tithes for £109 per annum. The tithes were re-arranged in 1881; the vicar taking a great portion of the rectorial, the vicarial tithes commuted at £269 7s. 3d. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have about £65, and C.W. Unthank, Esq., £20. The vicarage house, a good residence near the village, was purchased and annexed to the living in 1860.
Free Methodists have a chapel built in 1866.
BAWBURGH SCHOOL BOARD was established 1875, and consists of Rev. Hicks Thos. Deacle, M.A. (chairman), Messrs. Ed. Furness, Saml. Tann, Hy. Dyson, and John Mead; Mr. David Child is clerk to the board. The school was built in 1876 at a total cost of £1000, has accommodation for 75, and is attended by about that number of children.
The poor have the dividends of £50 three per cent. consols, left in 1809 by John Wagstaffe; the yearly income 30s. to be invested in a silver spoon, value 18s. to be given to any poor married couple of the parish on the birth of the first child, provided such birth does not take place till 36 weeks after marriage, and the residue to the poor at discretion of rector.
POST OFFICE. Wall Post Office cleared 5.10 p.m., week days only. Letters viâ Norwich, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. There is also a pillar post office on the Norwich turnpike, cleared at 5.15 p.m., week days only.
Arnold Miss Jessie Lavinia Board school mistress Baker Henry vict. King's head Bell John vict. Cock Chenery George blacksmith Child David W. baker, shopkpr. assist. overseer & clk to Bawburgh Sch. Bd Cole James wheelwright Davey William bricklayer Deacle Rev. Hicks Thos. M.A. vicar Dunnell William shoemaker Dyson Mrs Mary A. frmr. Lodge farm Furness Edward clerk Hunt Gabriel paper mill foreman Mead Walter tailor Osborne John parish clerk Pollington George shoemaker Rinder Mr Robert The Hall Sparrow James farmer and thrashing machine owner, Bawburgh villa and Little Melton Tann Samuel joiner and wheelwright Tyler John shopkeeper Yallop James farmer and ornithologist. (See Advt)
Delane, Magney & Co. paper manufacturers and at Taverham
CARRIERS - Andrews from Barnham Broom passes through to Norwich on Wednesday and Saturday
read 'Forehoe' petty sessional division;
Bawburgh School Board
the new School Board, elected on May 24, 1883, consists of the
Rev. H.T. Deacle, and Messrs. Hipperson, Sparrow, Yallop, and Dyson.
J.Y. can supply all classes of CANARIES and Cage Birds, for Exhibition,
the Aviary, or Cage, at reasonable terms, from best strains.
See also the Bawburgh parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.