[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BAWBURGH is a village and parish, on both sides of the river Yare, 5 miles W. of Norwich, containing 404 souls, and 1362A. of land, in Lord Stafford's manor of Costessey; but Sir Woodbine Parish, Kt., J.S. Muskett, Esq., and some others, have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Mary and St. Walstan) was partly rebuilt in 1309, and thoroughly repaired in 1638. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £13. 7s. 6d., and is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Carter. The former are appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which are leased to Mr. Muskett, and were commuted in 1840 for £251, and the vicarial tithes for £109 per annum.
On Mr. Cross's farm, is St. Walstan's Well, supposed to possess extraordinary healing virtues.
The poor have the dividends of £50 three per cent. consols, left in 1809, by John Wagstaffe. Here is a school for poor children, partly supported by J.J. Gurney, Esq.
Blyth Sarah vict. King's Head Brown John blacksmith Candler Edward miller Child David baker Claydon Chas. Thos. boarding school Cole Jas. vict. Cock Cole John smith and wheelwright Davey Walter butcher Dawson Peter shopkpr. and farrier Fisk Edw. saddler Frost Wm. tailor Parker Jerh. shoemaker Sturgess Wm. schoolr. and registrar Tann Samuel cooper, carpenter, &c. farmers. Cross Thos. Hart Wm. Page Robt., sen. & jun.
See also the Bawburgh parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.