William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
BARWICK-IN-THE-BRAKES is a parish, 2 miles E.of Docking, and 10 miles N.W.
by W. of Fakenham, containing only 32 inhabitants, and 1,270 acres of
land, forming the two manors and estates of Great and Little
Barwick; the former belonging to J.J. Gay, Esq., and the latter to
Derick Hoste, Esq., of Barwick House, a neat brick mansion with a
fine lawn, on the verge of which stood the parish CHURCH, which was
dilapidated many years ago, and has entirely disappeared.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at
£6, and in 1831 at £40. It was augmented in 1737 and 1763 with
£400, laid out in land now worth £30 a year, besides which,
the incumbent (Rev. James Hoste,) has a yearly modus of £10 from the
impropriator and patron, - D. Hoste, Esq.
The parishioners use the church at Stanhoe.
The farmers of Great Barwick are, John and Wm. Hunter.
See also the Barwick parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.