BARTON TURF is a parish and straggling village, 11 miles N.E. of Norwich, and 6 miles S.S.E. of North Walsham, in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, Stallingborough polling district of North Norfolk, Waxham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry.
The rateable value in 1881 was £2276. It contained 374 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1599 acres of land, of which 178A. are wood and water. The navigable river Ant opens out into an extensive lake or 'broad,' on the east side of the parish. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, the largest of whom is Sir J.H. Preston, Bart., J.P., the lord of the manor, and lessee of the tithes. Barton Hall, a large handsome brick mansion, seated on a pleasant eminence, is occupied by the Misses Preston, the owners. The Corporation of Norwich has a small manor and estate here, called Berry Hall.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) stands in the centre of the parish, and is a handsome structure, comprising nave with aisles, chancel with south chapel, and a lofty and beautifully proportioned tower with three bells. The nave is late Decorated - about 1360, the tower and chancel early Perpendicular, and the aisles about 50 years later. The chapel of St. Thomas, on the south side of the chancel, was built in 1445, by Thomas Amys, as appears from two very interesting brasses which it contains. The lower panels of the rood-screen have beautifully painted representations of St. Apollonia, St. Citha, St. Barbara, and the Heavenly Hierarchy. There is also a side screen in the south aisle, with paintings of King Henry VI., St. Edward, St. Edmund, and St. Olave.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 8d., and now annexed to the rectory of Irstead; the joint value of the benefices is £373. The Bishop of Norwich is the patron, and the Rev. William Haughton, of Irstead, incumbent. The glebe here is 27A. 2R. 1P., and 13 acres at Irstead. The tithes of Barton Turf were commuted in 1839, for the yearly payments of £171 to the vicar, and £295 to the Bishop of Norwich, the impropriator. The tithes of Irstead were commuted at £202.
The Fuel Allotment, 30A., was awarded in 1810. The parish clerk has the rent of 3R.21P., called 'The Dog Whipper's Land.'
A SCHOOL is supported by Sir J.H. Preston, Bart.
POST from Norwich, via Neatishead.
Bowen Miss Ellen schoolmistress Boorne George farmer Coman James farmer and plumber Cox Ellen shopkeeper Cox G.S. boat builder and coal dealer Dix Wm. parish clerk and shoemaker Drake David farmer Felstead - farmer and dealer Gilden Mr John Goulder Henry Christmas miller and farmer Hall Thomas shopkeeper Jones William shopkeeper Lubbock Leonard farmer Mack John farmer; h Tunstead Preston the Misses Barton Hall Silcock Jacob farmer, Bury Hall Starling Humphrey thatcher Utting John farmer, Hall farm Watts Henry shopkpr. and carpenter Watts John blacksmith Wright William farmer Yaxley James beerhouseWATER CONVEYANCE, to Yarmouth; John Gilden, jun. daily.
"for 'Stallingborough,' read 'Stalham.'"
Copyright © Pat Newby.