BARTON TURF is a parish and straggling village, 11 miles N.E. of Norwich, and 6 miles S.S.E. of North Walsham, comprising 408 inhabitants, and 1599 acres of land, of which 178A. are wood and water. The navigable river Ant opens out into an extensive lake or "broad," on the east side of the parish. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, the largest of whom is Sir J.H. Preston, the lord of the manor, lessee of the tithes, and owner of Barton Hall, a large handsome brick mansion, seated on a pleasant eminence, but now unoccupied. The Corporation of Norwich have a small manor and estate here, called Berry Hall.
The CHURCH (St. Michael,) is a handsome structure, with a lofty tower and three bells, standing in the centre of the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £379, with the rectory of Irstead annexed to it. The Bishop of Norwich is the patron, and the Rev. John Gunn, M.A., incumbent. The glebe here is 27A. 2R. 1P. The tithes of Barton Turf were commuted in 1840, for the yearly payments of £171, to the vicar, and £295 to the Bishop of Norwich, the impropriator.
The Fuel Allotment, 30A., was awarded in 1810, and the poor cut fuel upon it. The parish clerk has the rent of 3R. 21P., called "The Dog Whipper's Land."
Amos James wherry owner Cadge Harriet corn miller Dix Richard grocer and draper Francis John joiner Gale John gardener Gilding Robert wheelwright Watts James grocer Webster Abraham lime burner FARMERS. (* are owners.) Edrick Robert Gilding Robert * Howes James Neve Aaron * Neve Jacob Berry Hall * Nockolds Hy. Starling Wm. * Story Jno. Anty. Shoemakers. Barber John Cork John Gilding James
Copyright © Pat Newby.