BARSHAM (WEST) is a small parish, 3½ miles N. by W. of Fakenham, in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Gallow petty sessional division and hundred, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, and Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 99 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1571 acres, and has a rateable value of £1881. The soil belongs to Lady Katherine Balders, lady of the manor and patron of the living.
The CHURCH, which is a small edifice in the Early English style, comprising nave, chancel, south porch and belfry, was restored in 1854, and fitted with neat open benches, new pulpit, &c. It formerly had a tower between the nave and chancel. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 12s. 1d., and now at £168, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Alpheus Wilkes, B.A., of Bale.
The Barsham United District Board School is at East Barsham. (See East Barsham).
POST viâ Walsingham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Ellis Mr. John Bolding Ellis John Bolding, jun. farmer Green Henry farmer (and London) cattle salesman Pike Jonathan parish clerk Wilkes Rev. Alpheus, B.A. vicar; h Bale
Copyright © Pat Newby.