Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: East Barsham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BARSHAM (EAST) is a village and parish, in the picturesque valley of the small river Stiffkey, 3 miles N. of Fakenham. It has 240 inhabitants, and 1,048 acres of land, nearly all belonging to Lord Hastings, the lord of the manor, and patron of the CHURCH, (All Saints,) a small edifice, which formerly had a tower, the base of which is now the porch, with some fragments of figures in niches. In the interior is a sumptuous monument of alabaster and black marble, in memory of one of the Calthorpes, with the effigy of a female rising from her coffin, figures of angels, &c.

The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £16 13s. 4d., is endowed with the rectorial tithes, and consolidated with the rectory of Little Snoring, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Nicholas Astley, M.A. It has 6A. of glebe, and was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1754. The joint benefices were valued in 1831 at £645 per annum.

The Hall, now a farm-house, is a much admired specimen of ancient brick-work, in the Tudor style, with towers and turrets, built in the reign of Henry VII. and VIII., by Sir Wm. Farmour, and afterwards the seat of the Calthorpes. Near it is a large barn, constructed with squared stones, many of them covered with tracery, and supposed to have been brought from Walsingham Abbey. The Rev. Geo. Fredk. Hill owns several cottages, and some land in the parish.

The poor have two cottages, left by James Calthorpe, in 1636.

Directory:-

	Astley    Rev. H.N., M.A.  Vicarage
	Wilkerson Charles          vict., White Horse
	Leverett  John             blacksmith

	   farmers.

	Adams     John
	Faircloth Robert
	Kitton    George Rodwell

See also the East Barsham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2008