BARNINGHAM TOWN, or Barningham Winter, 5 miles E.S.E. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aldborough polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 100 inhabitants in 1881, living on 800 acres, and has a rateable value of £1207.
The parish belongs to J.T. Mott, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a large mansion in an extensive and well wooded park extending into Matlask parish. The Hall was built in 1612, by Sir William Paston, Knt., and is supposed to have been the first specimen of Elizabethan architecture in this county.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) stands in the park, and is an ivy-mantled ruin, but the chancel is used for divine service, and is neatly fitted with open oak seats &c. The old tower, which is still standing, contains one bell. In 1873 the chancel was restored by the late Mrs. Mott. J.T. Mott, Esq., is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward James Harper, M.A., who has a good residence. The glebe is 38A., and the tithes were commuted in 1842 for £131 per annum.
This parish is united with Matlask, Little Barningham, and Plumstead as a School Board district.
POST from Norwich viâ Hanworth. Letters for the Rectory * to be addressed viâ Holt and Dereham.
Bullock Peter farm bailiff Gray Elijah gamekeeper * Harper Rev. Edward rector, Rectory; James, M.A. and vicar of West Beckham Howes George farmer Mott John Stanley, Esq. The Hall Mott John Thos. Esq., J.P. The Hall Painter Robert parish clerk
Copyright © Pat Newby.