[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BARNHAM-BROOM is a small village, four miles N. by W. of Wymondham, and 9 miles W. of Norwich. Its parish includes the hamlet of Bickerston, or Bixton, nearly a mile N. of the church, and contains 494 inhabitants, and 1710A. of land, chiefly the property of Lord Wodehouse, lord of the manor of Barnham-Rysks and Bickerston; but the corporation of Norwich have a farm here of 90A., and are lords of the manor of Barnham Hawkins. (See page 136 [which is the entry for the BARNHAM-BROOM ESTATE, in the Charities of Norwich].)
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) has a lofty tower and five bells. It is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12. 8s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £540, with the vicarage of Kimberley annexed to it, in the gift of Lord Wodehouse, and incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Armine Wodehouse. Bickerston had anciently a church, the foundations of which are still visible. The CHURCH LAND is let for £4 per annum.
The TOWN LANDS, which had been vested in trust from the time of Henry VIII., were exchanged at the enclosure, in 1811, for 10A. 26P., let for £15 a year, which is carried to the poor rates, together with about £12 received yearly as the rent of five cottages. The FUEL ALLOTMENT, awarded at the enclosure, consists of 18A. 3R. 29P., on which the poor cut turves, and let the feeding for £8 a year, which is distributed in coals.
Here is a NATIONAL SCHOOL, erected four years ago, and attended by about 80 children.
Wodehouse Hon. and Rev. Armine Rectory Atkins Robert miller Buckenham John vetrny. surgeon Child Mr. Wm. Child Thos. blacksmith Cranness Thos. H. shoemaker Cunningham Caleb beer house, Bell Elliott Norris shopkeeper Hipkin Sarah school Howlett John wheelwright Howlett Matilda and Lydia shopkeepers Jacob Robt. shopkeeper King George wheelwright Lebbel Thos. blacksmith Mitton Geo. cattle dealer Sayer Wm. school Turner Mr. Wm. and Mrs. Sarah farmers. Bayes Wm. John Mills Mary Cunningham John Norton J. Hipkin John Thwaites John Thurlow Liddelow Robt. Watson Ann
See also the Barnham Broom parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.