[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BARFORD parish has a village of detached houses, 7 miles W. of Norwich, and is in Forehoe union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Forehoe petty sessional division and hundred, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 315 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1059 acres, and has a rateable value of £2162. Lord Stafford is lord of the manor of the moiety of Barford, and Mrs. Clarke is lady of the other moiety of Barford, and the soil belongs to the Rev. Henry Lombe, the Rev. John B. Turner, the executors of the late Daniel Sayers, Mrs. Bales, and several small landowners.
The CHURCH (St. Botolph) is a neat structure, consisting of nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with three bells. The nave is in the Perpendicular style, and was re-roofed, and fitted with new open seats, pulpit, and reading-desk in 1849, at a cost of £500. The chancel, which was restored by the patron in 1862, contains some Early English windows. Below the east window is an aumbry, and also a niche, supposed to be a credence. At the east end of the nave are several niches, and in the chancel is a tomb ornamented with a floriated cross. Here is a good Decorated font.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 8s. 4d., was augmented, in 1732, with £20, given by the Rev. Jeremiah Revans, and £200 of Queen Anne's bounty. The Rev. Henry Whitelock Turner, rector of Colton, is the patron, and the Rev. John Bowman Turner, M.A., incumbent. The advowson is in two medieties, one belonging to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners (who are responsible for half the repairs of the chancel); and the other mediety belongs to the present rector. The tithes, commuted in 1839 for £360 a year, with the 30 acres of glebe, are also divided between the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the rector.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.
The Board School, built in 1877, has an average attendance of 43 mixed scholars. The board consists of Mr. Philip Blyth Cannell (chairman), Rev. John B. Turner, Mrs. Charlotte Julia Turner, and Messrs. Philip Augustus Leamon, and Thomas Stubbing. Mr. Richard Grigson, of Norwich, is clerk to the board.
In 1711, Jeremiah Revans gave a yearly rent-charge out of land at Little Melton, for distributions of bread; and by his will, in 1725, he charged his lands at East Tuddenham with the yearly payment of 32s. 6d. to Barford, as follows: 10s. for a sermon, 2s. 6d. for the clerk, 10s. for the poor, in bread, and 10s. to be distributed in bibles and prayer-books. In 1813, Samuel Nash charged an estate here (160A.) with the yearly payment of £20, which is distributed among the poor parishioners, chiefly in coals.
POST viâ Wymondham. Letters arrive at 9 a.m., and despatched at 5.50 p.m. Barnham-Broom is nearest Money Order, and Wymondham nearest Telegraph Office and Railway Station.
Allan Miss Fanny Mabel schoolmistress Andrews William farmer Baker William butcher Bales Jonathan farmer Baxter Mrs Charlotte shopkeeper Baxter Edward shoemaker Bennell Robert George baker, grocer and corn chandler Betts George farmer Blythe Edward blacksmith and vict. King's Head Cannell Philip Blyth farmer Childs James shoemaker Gaff John farmer Harrison John farmer and thatcher Hollis George joiner & wheelwright Hubbard John butcher and shopkpr Hudson Jno. Tobias corn mert. Old hl Lee Mr Robert Marshall Thomas victualler, Cock Staines Mrs Ann Pratt Alfred farmer and coal mercht Pratt Joseph farmer Stubbings Thos. grcr. draper & saddler Tice Thomas farmer, Manor farm Thrower George cooper & basket mkr Thrower William cooper, basket mkr and parish clerk Turner Rev. John Bowman, M.A. rector Wildee Soames farmer
CARRIERS from Hingham, Barnham-Broom, and Shibden [sic] pass through daily to Norwich
See also the Barford parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.