[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BARFORD parish has a village of detached houses, 7 miles W. of Norwich, and contains 417 souls, and 1059 acres of land. Mr John Leeder is lord of the manor, but many others have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Botolph,) is a small edifice, with a square tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 8s. 4d., was augmented, in 1732, with £20, given by the Rev. Jeremiah Revans, and £200 of Queen Anne's bounty. The Rev. Henry Franklin, of Norwich, is patron and incumbent, and has half of the rent of 30A. of glebe, the other moiety of which belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £360 per annum.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel here.
In 1711, Jeremiah Revans gave a yearly rent-charge of 16s. out of land at Little Melton, for distributions of bread among the poor; and by his will, in 1725, he charged his lands at East Tuddenham with the yearly payment of 30s. to Barford, as follows: 10s. for a sermon, 10s. for the poor, in bread, and 10s. to be distributed in bibles and prayer-books.
In 1813, Samuel Nash charged an estate here (160A.) with the yearly payment of £20, which is distributed among the poor parishioners, chiefly in coals. Ferdinand Ives, Esq., now owns most of the land charged, and pays £15. 12s. 6d. of this annuity, and the rest is paid by Mrs. Amy Nash, owner of the remainder.
Blyth Wm. smith and vict., King William Hipperson Thos. bricklayer Land Hy. vict. Cock Inn Lee Robert carpenter Lewis J. tailor Nash Mrs. Amy Robins Jas. shopkpr. Rudd Mark wheelwright Webb Goldspring shopkpr. yeomen farmers Agus John Atmore John Hinsby Robert Girdlestone John Lee Robt. Tice Richard Leeder John Warby Robert
See also the Barford parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.