[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BANNINGHAM, a village and parish, 2½ miles N.E. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, and Ingworth rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £1971, and in 1881 contained 239 inhabitants, living on 920 acres. The soil belongs to George Copeman, Esq., Rev. F.C. Fowler, and several smaller owners; but W.F. Windham, Esq., is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Botolph) comprises nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel, south porch, and lofty square tower with only one bell, the other two having been sold in 1808 towards paying the expense of re-leading the nave. It has some remains of ancient stained glass in one of the north windows. The east window was blocked up for many years, but was restored and filled with tinted glass by the late rector. Several of the windows are enriched with stained glass - one at the east end of the south aisle, in memory of Mrs. Eleanor Trueman, and another at the east end of the north aisle, representing St. Paul and St. John, in memory of Alice Allen, who died in 1861, leaving £100 to the poor of the parish. The church was restored and reseated in 1847, chiefly at the expense of the then rector and George Copeman, Esq. The roof is richly carved, and has 14 figures on the hammer beams. The piscina and sedilia still remain in the chancel, and there is another piscina in the south aisle.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10 5s. 10d., has 17A. 2R. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £383, awarded in 1842 in lieu of tithes. The Rev. J. Cleary is patron, and the Rev. Henry Edwards is the incumbent, and has a good residence.
Here is a Reformed Methodist Chapel, built in 1828.
The poor have £4 10s. a year from land left in 1723 by the Rev. Samuel Wanley, who gave the rectory house, garden, &c. for the use of the succeeding rectors. The poor have also 30s. a year from three roods, called the Labourers' Pightle.
There is an Oddfellows' lodge at the Crown Inn. The soil of the parish is a rich light loam, with a subsoil of clay, which is extensively manufactured into bricks, tiles, and chimney tops of excellent quality, by Mr. J.M. Horstead.
POST from Norwich viâ Aylsham. WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.15 p.m. Aylsham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Atkins James wheelwright Barnes - parish clerk Cook - farmer Crane Robert blacksmith Cutting Robert farmer Danials Charles farmer Eastoe William victualler, Bridge Inn Edwards Rev. Henry rector Elden Philip farmer Griffin William farmer, Hall Horstead John M. brick and tile manufacturer; h Aylsham Hurst John grocer and vict. Crown Keddle - farmer Laskey - shopkeeper Macklin Charles & Wm. blacksmiths Neech Mrs. farmer Printer John farmer Roofe Thomas William farmer Rump Elden farmer Sharpin Thomas farmer Spink Joseph farmer; and Tuttington Sutton - farmer
See also the Banningham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.