[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
BANNINGHAM, a village and parish, 2½ miles N.E. of Aylsham, has 329 souls, and 908 acres of fertile land, belonging to various owners. W.H. Windham, Esq., is lord of the manor.
The Church (St. Botolph) has a square tower, with only one bell, the other two being sold in 1808, towards paying the expense of re-leading the nave. It has some remains of ancient stained glass, and is about to be re-pewed. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 5s. 10d., has 17A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £383, awarded, in 1842, in lieu of tithes. S. Bignold, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Wm. Jex Blake, of Lammas, incumbent.
Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1828.
The poor have £4. 10s. a year from 30A. of land, left, in 1723, by the Rev. Samuel Wanley, who gave the rectory house, garden, &c., for the use of the succeeding rectors. The poor have also 30s. a year, from 3 roods, called the Labourers' Pightle.
Blyth Rev Wm. curate, Rectory Frost Wm. brick and tile maker Frostick James Burton carrier and vict. Crown Goose John vict. Bridge Inn Hall Mrs Martha Heigham Charles corn miller Moore Jane National School Newstead Nathl. wheelwright FARMERS. Blacksmiths. (* are Owners.) Bensley John Cannell Francis Bowles Barnd. W. Eastoe Wm. * Elden Wm. B. Fairman John Shoemakers. Frostick John Palmer John Eastoe Nathl. * Rump Ann Lambert Joseph Rump William Elden * Sharpin John Shopkeepers. Shepherd Robert Smith Charles Hubbard Edwd. * Spink Thomas Scottow Peter
See also the Banningham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.