BANHAM parish has a small village on a gentle eminence, 6½ miles from Harling Road Station, 3½ miles from Eccles Station, 2¼ miles from Kenninghall and New Buckenham, and 5 miles E. by N. of East Harling. It is in Guiltcross union and hundred, Attleboro' county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, East Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 1142 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3963 acres, and has a rateable value of £5885.
The trustees of the late Isaac Fiske, the Earl of Albemarle, Misses Charlotte and Louisa Clarke, trustees of John Gall, Lady Hampton, Richard Bird, Thomas L. Palmer, John Henry Palmer and some smaller owners are the principal landowners. In consequence of the Duke of Norfolk inducing his tenants to enfranchise, there is now only about half-an-acre of copyhold in the parish, which is of the manor of Hockham. J.O. Howard Taylor is lord of the manors of Banham, Mareschalls, Beckhall, Greys, and Hockham.
The parish is noted for the manufacture of cider; Messrs. Gaymer & Son have extensive stores, established over 200 years. There are two brick and tile manufactories, the clay found here containing a percentage of oxide of iron, which gives the colour for the red brick.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a large and handsome structure, which was thoroughly restored in 1863, chiefly at the expense of the rector. It comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a square tower with clock and six bells, surmounted by a leaded spire, 125 feet in height. On the north side of the chancel is a wooden effigy of Sir Hugh Bardolph, Kt., in armour, and on the south side are three sedilia and a piscina. The fine five-light east window is filled with beautiful stained glass. The pulpit, lectern, reading desk, reredos, and chancel stalls are of richly-carved oak. The nave is furnished with open benches with carved ends, and the organ is a sweet-toned instrument. The font is of Caen stone, with crocketed spiral canopy of wood, in the Early English style. At the east end of the south aisle is a stained window in memory of some members of the Gall family, and on the north side of the chancel is a two-light in memory of the wife and son of the present rector, inserted in 1876, and another was unveiled in 1882, in memory of the Wick family.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9 3s. 6½d., is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor and incumbency of the Rev. John George Fardell, M.A., who has 34 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £1250 per annum (exclusive of the tithe on the glebe), and an ancient but comfortable residence, in which is a fine collection of old carved-oak cabinets and furniture. A cemetery, about 1½ acres in extent, given by the rector, was consecrated as 'an addition to the churchyard' on July 15, 1881; it being distant a quarter of a mile, a mortuary chapel was erected by voluntary subscription at a cost of £300.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here; the former was built in 1822.
The yearly sum of £3 18s. is paid to the Board School out of 6 acres of land left by John Bidwell in 1713, for schooling six poor children. The TOWN LANDS, partly acquired in the 15th century, have been conveyed to trustees from time to time for the church and poor, and consist of about 43 acres with a cottage, let for £58 a year.
A SCHOOL BOARD was formed in 1875, and consists of Messrs. Thomas L. Palmer, William Gaymer, jun., Isaac Cook, Richard Rout, and Joseph Armes. Mr. L. Lane is clerk to the Board. A new School for 180 children was built in 1877 at a cost of £1362.
The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1790, consisted of 123A. 2R. 2P. of fen and 9A. 3R. 27P. on Holme Hills; but 113A. have been recently exchanged with the Earl of Albemarle for an estate of 89A. 0R. 29P. in Kenninghall Park Common, now let for £74 per annum, which, with the rent of the remaining land, and 10s. a year from Leeder's plantation (Bidwell's gift), is distributed to the poor in calico, coal, blankets, &c.
The Guildhall Feoffment consists of an old building divided into two tenements, three small cottages called the Town Houses, and 3A, 1R. 0P. of land, let for £5. These premises being settled for superstitious uses, fell to the lord of the manor, who in 1549 granted them to feoffees for the use of all the copyhold tenants on condition that the lord should have the liberty to hold the manor court in the old building called the Guildhall. The poor have 20s. a year, left by Mrs. Dorothy Gawdy. In 1832 Mrs. Mary Bowles gave 5A. 3R. 20P. of land, in trust for the poor of Banham and Kenninghall in equal shares.
The POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE, and SAVINGS BANK is at Mr. T.S. Barnard's. Letters arrive at 7.15 a.m. and are despatched at 7.10 p.m., and on Sundays at 10.25 a.m., viâ Attleborough. New Buckenham is the nearest Telegraph Office.
Adams Mrs Mary farmer, Chequers farm Armes Joseph miller, baker and farmer, Moor farm Badcock Jno. vict. Crown, & farmer Barker William miller Barnard Albert vict. Greyhound Barnard Thomas Syrett tailor and woollen draper, Post Office Bethell John Edgar Ward saddler, furniture broker, &c Betney Henry farmer Betts Harry farmer and cattle dealer, Haugh farm Blackburn Robert farmer Bowen James wheelwright Bowen Thomas horse clipper Brown Thomas farmer & fruit dealer Burgess Thomas farmer Burlingham Mrs Maria Calton Mrs Esther clothes dealer Chapman Geo. blcksmth. & parish clk Clarke Misses Charlotte & Louisa The Hall Cole William principal, Banham Commercial School Cook Isaac farmer, The Grove Copeman John hurdle mkr. & thatchr Cracknell Mrs Jemima flour and meal dealer Cracknell Miss Matilda Elizabeth plumber and painter Cunningham George farmer, Fen Egmore John grocer and draper Fardell Rev. John Geo., M.A. Rectory Foulger Robert farmer Frost James farmer Frost Robert shoemaker, Moor Gaymer Edwd. T. frmr. The Wash frm Gaymer Mr Wm. The Wash farm Gaymer Wm. & Son cider manfrs. & merts. & frmrs. (See Advertisement) [see below] Gaymer Wm. jun. cider manfr. (Wm. & Son), and farmer, Heath road Germany Mr John Germany Thomas Geo. farmer, Moor Huggins Robert farmer, Church grn Holmes Miss Mary Banham house Humphrey Miss Elizabeth shopkeepr Humphrey James carpenter Hunt John Birkbeck brick and tile manufacturer and farmer Hunt James Lilly gardener and beer and wine retailer, Garden house Hurrell Wm. whitesmth. & blacksmth Jolley Edgar G.A. farmer Jolley Mrs Sarah farmer, Church grn Kemp Robert shopkeeper Kemp Stephen farmer Kettle Alfred plumber and painter, and at Winfarthing Limmer George bricklayer Lighton Alfred shoemaker, coal dealer and shopkeeper Ludkin builders and general contractors & Son (See Advertisement) [see below] Ludkin Wm. builder (& Son), & frmr Ludkin Wm. Hy. bldr. (& Son), & fmr Moore David shoemaker Moore Henry shoemaker Mounsher Miss Martha Elizabeth Murrell Mrs Elizabeth Rose cottage Newell Mrs Sarah The Moor Newson Mrs Sophia Rose cottage Nudds Robert victualler, Brickmakers' Arms, and carpenter Palmer Mr Ellis Palmer Miss Martha Ann infant Board schoolmistress Palmer Thos. Leonard fmr. & landownr Pashley William grocer, draper and cider manufacturer and agent to the Norwich Equitable Fire Assce. Co. Pawson Thos. Branton Board schlmstr Pitchers Wm. vict. Red Lion, & pig dlr Ribbons Charles fruiterer Robinson David farmer and landowner and brick and tile manfr Rolfe Fredk. farmer, Potash farm Roper Miss Eliza Yew cottage Roper John farmer, assistant overseer and highway rate collector Rout Fredk. Rd. (R. & Son), cider mfr Rout George butcher and dealer Rout Henry Chas. butcher and dealer Rout R. & Son cider manufacturers (See Advertisement [see below] Rout Richard (R. & Son), butcher, farmer and cider manufacturer Ryder James boot and shoe maker Saunders Charles farmer Saunders James farmer, Rectory farm Smith John vict. King's Head Spurling James wheelwright Stevenson John foreman carpenter Stone James farmer Taylor Hy. builder & timber merchant Taylor Henry carpenter and smoke bacon curer Taylor Herbert bricklayer Turvey John farmer, lime burner and whitening manufr. Limekiln farm Turvey Robert vict. Horse Shoes Twiddy Mr Robert Vout William carrier to Norwich Wake George horse dealer & beerhs Wells Mrs Amelia ladies' seminary, The Priory Warlow Thomas Meyler, classical master at Banham M.A., LL.D. Commercial School, Beech cottage Whistler Rev. Alfred Jas., B.A. curate
Copyright © Pat Newby.