BANHAM parish has a small village on a gentle eminence, 2 miles from Kenninghall and new Buckenham, and 5 miles E. by N. of East Harling, and contains many scattered houses, 1165 inhabitants, and 3714 acres of rich loamy land, belonging to a number of copyholders and freeholders, many of whom are residents. The whole is in the Duke of Norfolk's manors of Banham Heath, Mareschalls, Greys, Beckhall, and Hockham, mostly on arbitrary fines. About 150 people are employed here in making bricks and tiles, and here is a fair for horses, toys, &c., on the 22nd of June.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a large handsome structure, with a square tower, surmounted by a wooden spire. In a chapel lies the effigy of the founder - Sir Hugh Bardolph, Kt. The rectory, valued in [the] King's Book at £9. 3s. 6½d., and in 1831 at £800, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. John Surtees. The glebe is 34A.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.
The yearly sum of £5. 4s. is paid out of 6A. of land, left by John Bidwell in 1713, for schooling six poor children. The TOWN LANDS, partly acquired in the 15th century, have been conveyed to trustees from time to time for the church and poor, and consist of about 43A., with a house, let for £65 a year, and a building called the Pest-house, occupied rent free by paupers. Out of the rents, 7s. 5d. is paid for the leet-fee and quit-rent; £4 is divided among the poor, and the residue is applied in the service of the church.
The FUEL ALLOTMENTS, awarded at the enclosure in 1790, consist of 123A. 2R. 2P. of fen, on which the poor cut turf, and let the herbage for about £50; and 9A. 3R. 27P. on Holme Hills, let for £16 a year. Part of the rents is paid to the poor who cut the turf, and the rest is distributed in clothing and coals. The Guildhall Feoffment consists of an old building divided into three tenements, occupied by paupers, and 3A. 33P. of land, let for £3. 10s. These premises being settled for superstitious uses, fell to the lord of the manor, who in 1549 granted them to feoffees for the use of all the copyhold [tenants], on condition that the lord should have liberty to hold the manor court in the old building called the Guildhall.
The poor have 30s. a year, left by Mrs. Gawdy and Mrs. Bidwell. In 1832, Mrs. Mary Bowles gave 5A. 3R. 20P. of land, let for £5, in trust for the poor of Banham and Kenninghall in equal shares.
Armes Wm. miller and baker Browne Sarah shopkeeper Browne Alfred schoolmaster Carter Robert gentleman Cracknell Wm. plumber, painter, &c Chapman John blacksmith Elliott Wm. lime & corn merchant Esling Hy. gent Esling Wm. Chpr. & John grocers, drapers, and agents to Norwich Equitable Fire and Life Ins. Co. Gaymer Wm. vict. Crown Gilbert George brickmaker Gilbert Robert millwright Hewett James butcher Holmes Mrs My. Humphreys Wm. gardener Humphreys Wm. millwright Hunt J. joiner and brickmaker Hurrell John whitesmith Jessup Wm. bricklayer Kemp Robert beerhouse keeper Kemp Stephen carrier and shopr. Ludkin Henry joiner Newell Mr Robert Page Thos. jun. wheelwright and gig maker Pears Rev Charles, M.A. curate Prince Mary ladies' school Robinson Charles vict. Lion Rust Wm. butcher Spurling Wm. wheelwright Surtees Rev John Rectory Taylor John bricklayer Taylor H. carpenter, &c Wells George corn miller and chief constable Cattle Dealers. Fisher J. Jolly George Jolly Elias FARMERS. Bilham James Newson Rebecca Blomfield Chas. Newson George Bobby Thomas Page Thomas Gall James Palmer Jonthn. Germany John Palmer Edwin Gunns Robert Phillips Robert Hewitt James Rich Thomas Humphreys Chapman Roper Edward Hunt James Smith Robert Moore George Spurling Wm. Murrell George Wells Mary Wick Jas. jun. Shoemakers. Tailors. Bradley John Bale J. Davy Charles Barnard Thomas Johnson Robert Elsing Hy. jun. Mark Wm. parish clerk Weston Wm.POST-OFFICE at Rt. Turvey's. Letters daily, from Attlebro'
Copyright © Pat Newby.