BALE, or Bailthley, or Bathley, 5 miles W. by S. of Holt, is a parish in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt petty sessional division and hundred, Hindringham polling district of North East Norfolk, Walsingham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 232 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1041 acres, and has a rateable value of £1711. The soil is all arable, except 200 acres of wood and pasture. Sir Willoughby Jones, Bart., is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil, and E.B. Sparke, Esq., and some smaller owners, have estates here.
The CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave, chancel, north transept, south porch, and square embattled tower with five bells. The interior was restored in 1863, and fitted with new open seats, oak pulpit, and reading desk, &c. One of the windows contains some old stained glass, and in the chancel is a piscina.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10 13s. 4d., is consolidated with that of Gunthorpe, in the patronage of E.B. Sparke, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Robert Arbuthnot Law. The glebe here is 45 acres, and the tithes of Bale were commuted, in 1839, for £311 10s. per annum. A handsome new rectory house was erected in 1872 by the present rector. The Church Land is 2 acres, let for £6.
The sum of £16 10s., left to the poor by Chpr. Ringer, in 1678, was laid out in land, which was exchanged at the enclosure, in 1811, for 4A. 1R. 22P., now let for £7, which is given away in blankets.
WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.25 p.m., and on Sundays at 10.25 a.m. Post from East Dereham, viâ Briningham, but Holt is the nearest Money Order Office.
Claxton George shopkeeper Hammond John, M.R.C.V.S.L. and farmer, Manor house Lake Richard victualler, Bale Oak Law Rev. Robert Arbuthnot rector Lee Henry shopkpr; and Thursford Long Robert blacksmith Long William farmer Pells Samuel farmer; and Gunthorpe Sands William farmer Wick John parish clerk
For 'Walsingham [rural deanery],' read 'Holt.'
Copyright © Pat Newby.