Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Bale

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BALE, or Bailthley, on a declivity, 5 miles W. by S. of Holt, has in its parish 229 souls, and 1041A. of land, all arable, except 200A. of wood and pasture. Sir L. Jones, Bart., owns part of the soil, and is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (All Saints,) has a square tower and four bells; and near it is the lifeless trunk of a large oak, in the hollow of which twelve men might have stood upright, in Blomefield's time. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Gunthorpe rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. J.H. Sparke. The glebe here is 21A. 39P., and the tithes of Bale were commuted, in 1839, for £311. 10s. per annum. The CHURCH LAND is 2A.

The sum of £16. 10s., left to the poor by Chpr. Ringer, in 1678, was laid out in land, which was exchanged at the enclosure, in 1811, for 4A. 1R. 22P., now let for £6. 5s.

DIRECTORY:-

	Abram      Wm.                shoemaker
	Farrow     Robt.              miller & baker
	Harrold    Robt.              vict. Angel and Oak
	Key        John Sayer         bricklayer
	Long       Mrs. Amy
	Packer     Rev. Robt.         curate
	             Waldegrave, B.A.

	   farmers

	Abram      John               (owner)
	Arnold     Samuel
	Burrell    John
	Curtis     Charles
	Greve      Robert
	Gutteridge John               (owner)
	Long       James

See also the Bale parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2002