[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BAGTHORPE parish, 9 miles W. by N. of Fakenham, and 16 miles N.E. by E. of Lynn, is in Docking union, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 85 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 750 acres of land. It has a rateable value of £805.
The whole parish is farmed by Mr. H.J.D. Dugmore, who resides at Mount Ida, a neat mansion on a conical eminence, surrounded by pleasant grounds, and formerly the seat of George William Chad, Esq., who was a son of Sir George Chad, Bart., and died in 1849, after having passed twenty-five years in the diplomatic service of his country, and been ambassador at various foreign courts.
Henry John Dennis Dugmore, Esq., is lord of the manor, owner of the soil, and patron of the CHURCH (St. Mary), which was rebuilt in 1852, chiefly at the expense of the Rev. Stephen R. Cattley, a former lord of the manor. It is a small Gothic fabric, comprising nave, chancel, porch, and turret with two bells. The east window is of stained glass; and the building is furnished with open benches of oak, with poppy heads. The Register dates from 1560.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 10s., is in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward Martin Pitt, M.A., who resides at Hunstanton St. Edmunds, and was augmented in 1769 and 1788 with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in the purchase of 8 acres of land at Harleston. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £140 a year.
POST from Lynn. East Rudham is the nearest Telegraph Office, and Massingham the nearest Railway Station.
Chapman Thomas farm bailiff Dugmore Henry John Dennis, Esq. J.P. Bagthorpe hall Pitt Rev. Edward Martin, M.A. rector; h Hunstanton St. Edmunds
See also the Bagthorpe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.