[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BAGTHORPE parish, 9 miles W. by N. of Fakenham, and 16 miles N.E. by E. of Lynn, has only 69 inhabitants, and 750 acres, of which 113 acres are plantations and covers.
The Rev. Stephen Reed Cattley is lord of the manor, owner of the soil, and patron of the Church (St. Mary), which was rebuilt in 1852, chiefly at his expense. It is a small fabric, comprising nave, chancel, porch, and turret with two bells. The east window is of stained glass; and the building is furnished with open benches of oak, with poppy heads.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 10s., is in the incumbency of the Rev. James Hadley, B.A., and was augmented in 1769 and 1788 with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in the purchase of 8 acres of land at Harleston. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £140 a year.
The whole parish is farmed by Mr. James Ashley Rix, who resides at Mount Ida, a neat mansion on a conical eminence, surrounded by pleasant grounds, and formerly the seat of George Wm. Chad., Esq., who was a son of Sir George Chad, Bart., and died in 1849, after having passed 25 years in the diplomatic service of his country, and been ambassador at various foreign courts.
POST from Lynn.
See also the Bagthorpe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.