[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BAGTHORPE parish, 9 miles W. by N. of Fakenham, and 16 miles N.E. by E. of Lynn, has only 78 inhabitants, and 750 acres, of which, 113 acres are plantations and covers. Geo. Wm. Chad, Esq., is owner of the soil, and lord of the manor, and resides at Mount Ida, a neat and well-built mansion, upon a conical eminence, surrounded by a lawn of 28 acres. He is youngest son of the late Sir George Chad, Bart., of Thursford, and only surviving brother to the present baronet. He was sometime envoy extraordinary, and minister plenipotentiary from the Court of Great Britain to that of Prussia, and previously to other Courts.
He is patron of the CHURCH (St. Mary,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 10s., and is enjoyed by the Rev. Stephen Reed Cattley. The rectory was augmented in 1769 and 1788 with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty, laid out in the purchase of 8A. of land, in Harleston. The tithes have recently been commuted for £140 per annum.
Barratt Mrs. and Mr. Mark Chad G.W., Esq. Cole Miss
See also the Bagthorpe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.