BACONSTHORPE is a village and parish, 2½ miles E. by S. of Holt, comprising 326 inhabitants, and 1688 acres of land, of which 1348A. are assessable. Lady Suffield and J.T. Mott, Esq., of Blickling, are the principal owners. The latter is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and now enjoyed by the Rev. J.A. Partridge, M.A. The glebe is 12a., and the tithes were commuted, in 1842, for £379 per annum. The rectory-house was nearly destroyed by lightning, in 1692, and by fire in 1754; after which it continued ruinous till 1770, when it was repaired at a considerable expense, by the rector and his parishioners.
The CHURCH (St. Mary the Virgin,) is a large handsome edifice, which was partly destroyed by the fall of the steeple, in 1739, but was thoroughly repaired and beautified, chiefly at the expense of the Rev. Wm. Hewitt, in 1779. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1844.
The manor was long held by the Bacons, one of whom was John Bacon, the learned and "Resolute Doctor," who died in 1346. From them it passed to the Heydons. Sir Henry Heydon built the old Hall, except the large centre tower, about the year 1495; but the whole is now in ruins, and the more modern hall is occupied by a farmer.
Here is a National School, built in 1816; and the poor have £5 a year out of land left by Thomas Newman, in 1698.
Beales John National School Curson John blacksmith Everett Stephen vict. Jolly Farmers Mayes Misses P. and C. Partridge Rev. John Anthony M.A. Rectory Ward Robert blacksmith & shopkpr Warnes V.L. grocer and draper Whiting John joiner, &c. (& Holt) Wilson Thomas saddler (and Holt) Boot and Shoe Mkrs. Fisher Philip Mann John Porrett John FARMERS. Denny Richard Everett Stephen King Jerh. Wm. Mack Thos. Bond. Old Hall Mayes Thomas Philippo John Seaman John Warnes Sophia Ward Thomas
Copyright © Pat Newby.