Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Aylmerton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright Richard Johns]

AYLMERTON, 3 miles S.W. of Cromer, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Cromer polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 273 inhabitants in 1881, comprises 1679 acres, and had in 1881 a rateable value of 2134 7s. 6d. and a gross estimated rental of 2318 17s. 6d.

The parish includes a high ridge of open heath, on which are the ruins of a beacon, and a number of singular excavations, locally called the 'Shrieking Pits' (see page 56 [which describes the Antiquities of Norfolk]). Robert William Ketton, Esq., owns the greater part of the soil, and is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (St. John the Baptist) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and round embattled tower. It has been lately restored, a new window with cathedral glass put in, also heating apparatus and handsome coronae and standards for lighting the church.

The Rev. William Woodward Mills, M.A., is the rector, and lives in the rectory house, which has recently been enlarged and nearly rebuilt. Robert William Ketton, Esq., is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at 6 11s., and has that of Runton annexed to it. There are 41A. 2R. 5P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of 228, awarded in 1842 in lieu of tithes.

There is also a commodious BOARD SCHOOL in this parish, with good house and outbuildings attached, for the parishes of Aylmerton, Metton, Felbrigge, and Sustead, capable of accommodating 110 children. It was built in 1875, at a cost of 1275. The members of the School Board are the Rev. W. W. Mills (chairman), Mr. J. Martin (vice-chairman), and Messrs. R. W. Ketton, J. Clark, and G. Bird.

LETTERS from Norwich, via Roughton, arrive at 9 a.m.; post goes out at 2.45 p.m. Cromer is the nearest Railway and Telegraph Station.

	Barrett    Josiah            farmer
	Bird       George            farmer; and Barningham Northwood
	Cavell     Edmund            farmer, joiner, builder and sawyer
	Firmage    John              shoemaker, shopkeeper and postmaster
	Fuller     Chas. Christmas   frmr. & survyr
	Harrison   Edwd. Geo.        Board schoolmstr
	Hall       Edmund            beer retailer
	Jelly      Arthur Henry      farmer
	Ketton     Mr Robert William
	Mills      Rev. William
	             Woodward, M.A.  rector, Rectory
	Meering    Charles           gamekeeper
	Shepherd   Allen             blacksmith and farmer, and at Metton

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Aylmerton parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
June 2001