[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
ATTLEBRIDGE, on the river Wensum, and on the Eastern and Midlands Railway, 8 miles N.W. of Norwich, is a parish in St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Taverham hundred and petty sessional division, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, and Taverham rural deanery of Norwich archdeaconry. It had 66 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1267 acres, and has a rateable value of £1137.
The parish mostly belongs to H.S.N. Micklethwait, Esq., the lord of the manor and impropriator of the great tithes; and partly to George Duckett Berney, Esq. Formerly here was a hamlet called Dighton, or Dike-townhills, and there was also a hermitage near the river. A wrought-iron bridge on two piers was erected in 1861 by T.T. Berney, Esq., in place of an old wooden one.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a plain old structure, comprising nave, north aisle, chancel, and square tower containing one bell. The windows are all modern insertions with square frames. There are four brasses, a tablet of the Craven family, a piscina, a holy water stoup, a squint or hagioscope, and a low side window or lychnoscope. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 10½d., and consolidated with the rectory of Alderford. The tithes were commuted in 1839, the vicarial for £70 15s., and the rectorial for £165 per annum.
A School was erected in 1870 by H.S.N. Micklethwait and G.D. Berney, Esqrs.
POST viâ Norwich. Reepham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Blyth Edward blacksmith Death Miss Alice schoolmistress Rayner John parish clerk Ringer William farmer, Malt House, Ashtree and Hall farms
CARRIERS pass through to Norwich, Mon., Tues., Wed. and Sat.
RAILWAY - Eastern & Midlands Ry. Co.
See also the Attlebridge parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.