Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Aslacton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

ASLACTON is a parish 13 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 6½ miles E. by N. of New Buckenham. It is in Depwade union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Depwade petty sessional division and hundred, Long Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, and Depwade rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Norwich diocese.

It had 295 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1165 acres, and has a rateable value of £1642 10s. The soil belongs to Robert Buxton, Mrs. Copeman, and others, but Sir Robert Buxton is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (St. Michael), comprises nave, chancel, south aisle, porch, and round tower with five bells, and is sorely in need of restoration. The church was founded by the Danes in 870, the embattled tower being the only portion of the orginal structure remaining. The nave, chancel and south aisle date from the twelfth century. The Registers date from 1536.

The living is a vicarage, valued at £32, and now in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Gale Curtler, and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Bartholomew Davey Hopgood, M.A., who has a good parsonage house, built in 1860, at a cost of £1200, on a piece of land given by Mr. Copeman. The Grange is tithe-free, and the tithes of the rest of the parish were commuted in 1839 for £340 per annum. Le Neve Gilman, Esq., is impropriator of the tithes.

Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1833, and enlarged in 1844.

The Fuel Allotment, 17A. 3R. 36P., awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is let for £25. The poor have also 20s. a year, left by Lawrence Le Neve, out of land belonging to Mr. Edmund Snelling.

The National School, built in 1850 at a cost of £217, is now under a School Board, and is attended by over 40 children.

POST OFFICE at Mr. C. Bloy's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m. via Long Stratton. Long Stratton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Aldrich    Edward        carpenter
	Arnold     Mrs Maria     farmer
	Banham     Moses         farmer
	Bloy       Charles       private school
	Burroughes Barnaby       miller & corn mht
	Chapman    Miss Eliza    schoolmistress
	Coleman    John          shopkeeper
	Falgate    William       farmer
	Fish       Jno.          farmer
	Hart       Charles       farmer
	Hopgood    Rev. Joseph   The Vicarage
	             Bartholomew
	             Davey, M.A.
	Howlett    Hubert        farmer
	King       James         farmer
	Mancer     Robert        shoemaker
	Moore      George        farmer
	Prime      John          blacksmith
	Rayner     Alfred        painter, plumber, and glazier,
	                           and victualler, The Bell
	Smith      James         farmer
	Smith      Mathew        shopkeeper
	Smith      Walter        shopkeeper
	Tennant    John          farmer

See also the Aslacton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 2001