ASHWICKEN, a small parish having only 94 inhabitants in 1881, living in 22 houses, and 1282 acres of land, lies 5 miles E. of Lynn and 1¼ mile N. of East Winch railway station, in the picturesque vale of a rivulet which flows westward to that port. It is in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred and petty sessional division, Lynn county court and bankruptcy district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn rural deanery, and archdeaconry of Norwich.
John Groom Esq., the lord of the manor, owns about 500 acres of land, and the Hall, a large brick mansion formerly surrounded by a moat, where he resides; and the rest of the parish belongs to his son, Captain J.E. Groom, of Great Walsingham. Upwards of 100 acres of sandy heath at the west end of the parish, being unfit for cultivation, were planted about fifty years ago.
The CHURCH (All Saints) occupies a lofty situation in a large meadow overlooking the valley, and was formerly a much larger edifice. It now comprises nave, chancel, and south porch in the Perpendicular style, and tower in the Decorated style. The east window is filled with stained glass in memory of the Rev. John Freeman, M.A., the late rector, by the parishioners.
In 1860 the church was handsomely restored and refitted with open benches of oak with carved poppies, &c., at a cost of £1000. The font, a fine octagonal one of the Decorated style, was carved by Major Markham Kittoe, at Benares, and presented to the church by that gentleman, in memory of his daughter, who died in 1850. The lectern is of oak and represents an eagle with outspread wings. There is a priest's door in the chancel, and in the lower part of the tower, which is open to the church, are two mural tablets of the Borrett family.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Leziate, a churchless parish on the opposite side of the highway. The Rev. Arthur John Groom, B.A., is patron and incumbent; and has a neat rectory house built in 1843, 13A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £520, awarded in lieu of tithes in 1844.
The National School, with teacher's house attached, built in 1845, and subsequently enlarged, is attended by 65 children.
POST from Lynn. Here is a wall letter-box, closed at 4.10 p.m. week days only.
Allen R. parish clerk Bannell Michael farm bailiff to Capt. Groom Groom Rev. Arthur rector John, B.A. Groom John farmer and landowner, The Hall Neringham E. frmr. Glosthorpe Manor Sadler Miss Frances schoolmistress
Copyright © Pat Newby.