ASHWICKEN, a small parish with only 108 inhabitants and 1282 acres of land, lies 5 miles E. of Lynn and 1¼ mile N. of East Winch railway station, in the picturesque vale of a rivulet which flows westward to that port. John Groom, Esq., owns about 500 acres of land, and the Hall, a large brick mansion formerly surrounded by a moat, and the rest of the parish belongs to Chas. Leamon, Esq. Upwards of 100 acres of sandy heath, at the west end of the parish, being unfit for cultivation, were planted about thirty years ago.
The Church (All Saints) occupies a lofty situation in a large meadow overlooking the valley, and was formerly a much larger edifice. It now comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and tower. The latter is of the decorated period, but the rest of the building is in the perpendicular style, and in 1860 was handsomely restored and refitted with open benches of oak with carved poppies, &c., at a cost of £1000. The font, a fine octagonal one of the decorated style, was carved by Major Markham Kittoe, at Benares, and presented to the church by that gentleman, in memory of his daughter who died in 1850. The lectern is of oak and represents an eagle with outspread wings. There is a priest's door in the chancel, and in the lower part of the tower, which is open to the church, are two mural tablets of the Borrett family.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Leziate, a churchless parish on the opposite side of the turnpike. The Rev. John Freeman, M.A., is patron and incumbent; and has a neat Rectory House built in 1843, 13A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £520, awarded in lieu of tithes in 1844.
The National School, with teacher's house attached, was built in 1845, and is attended by 45 children.
The chief residents are-
Freeman Rev. John, M.A., J.P. rector and rural dean, Rectory Garner Wm. farm steward, Hall Logan Miss Mary Thew Ellen schoolmistress Waters Horace Matthews farmer, Valley farmPOST from Lynn, via East Winch.
Copyright © Pat Newby.