Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Ashmanhaugh

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

ASHMANHAUGH, a small parish, 7 miles S. by E. of North Walsham, and 10 miles N.E. by N. of Norwich, is mostly the property of Sir J. H. Preston, Bart., the lord of the manor. It is in Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, Tunstead hundred, Coltishall polling district of North Norfolk, Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 141 inhabitants in 1881, living on 666 acres, and has a rateable value of £1043.10s.

The CHURCH (St. Swithin) is a very small fabric, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and low round tower. The latter was rebuilt in 1842, and contains one bell.

Sir J. H. Preston, Bart., is impropriator, and patron of the perpetual curacy, which was certified at £10, and is now valued at £76, and consolidated with the rectory of Beeston St. Lawrence. It was augmented from 1731 to 1810 with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and in 1758, with £200, given by Isaac Preston, Esq. With these sums 27A. of land were purchased. The old glebe is 5A. 2R., and the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £145 per annum.

The Rev. T. E. Hankinson Cox, M.A., is the present incumbent. The Rectory House for the consolidated parishes was built about seventeen years ago by the Rev. F. Jickling.

The Church Land, 1R. 2P., has a cottage upon it, and is let for £5. The Poor's Allotment, 8A., awarded in 1808, is let for £8. The Old Poor's Land, with an allotment awarded to it, is 2½A., let, with two tenements upon it, for £2.5s.

The School is supported by the Misses Preston, of Barton Turf, and Sir J. H. Preston, Bart., and is attended by about 50 children.

POST from Norwich, via Neatishead. Pillar letter box cleared at 4 pm., week days only.

	Baldwin  Herbert            farmer, The Hall; and Tunstead
	Bird     John               parish clerk; and of Beeston St. Lawrence
	Cox      Rev. Thos. Edwd.   rector of Ashmanhaugh & Beeston St.
	           Hankinson, M.A.    Lawrence, The Rectory
	Felstead William            blacksmith and farmer
	Mason    William            farmer
	Neal     John               farmer
	Sharp    Benjamin           farmer
	Turner   Miss Alice         schoolmistress
	Ward     Frederick          farmer

See also the Ashmanhaugh parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
November 1999