ASHILL, a parish and a scattered village, on a commanding eminence, 3 miles N.N.W. of Watton, and 6 miles S.E. of Swaffham, is in Swaffham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Wayland petty sessional division and hundred, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Breckles rural deanery, of Norwich archdeaconry.
It had 656 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2990 acres, and had a rateable value of £4823. The parish lies in the manors of Uphall, Collards, and Gaines, of which W.A.T. Amherst, Esq., M.P., is lord; and Panworth Hall, of which the Earl of Leicester is lord. The land belongs to Robert Miller, Robert Housley, and Edmund Oldfield, Esqrs., Mrs. Oldfield, and several smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas), a handsome edifice comprising nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel, and square tower with six bells, was restored and reseated with carved oak sittings in 1866, when a new organ was built by Walker, of London. The east window contains some good stained glass, and a window in the south chancel is filled with stained glass in memory of the wife of the present rector. Here are monuments of the Boyce and Cotton families.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £19 13s.6½d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Bartholomew Edwards, who has 50 acres of glebe, a good residence, and yearly rent-charge of £987.
The National School, a brick and flint building, attended by about 45 children, was erected in 1848 by the rector, who also erected an Infant School with teachers' residence in 1876, which is attended by 50 children.
Here are chapels belonging to the Primitive Methodists and Methodist Free Church.
In 1856 a fine gold torques [sic], weighing 4 oz. 12 dwts., and measuring 33 inches long, was found in this parish.
The Church Land was exchanged at the enclosure for 3A. 10P., let for £2 2s. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1786, comprises 30A. 2R. 18P., let for £21 a year, distributed in coal. At the same time, two allotments were awarded to the owners or occupiers of messuages in the parish, not occupying more than £5 a year, viz., 5A. to turn their geese upon, and 38A. as a common pasture.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Henry Grimmer's, sub-postmaster. Letters from Watton arrive at 8.15 a.m., and despatched at 5.30 p.m., viâ Thetford. Watton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Allcock Miss Emily infant school-mistress and organist at the parish church Allcock John farmer Allcock Joseph national schoolmaster and assistant overseer Allcock Thomas wheelwright Amos Charles blacksmith Amos Charles jun. blacksmith Betts Chas. frmr. Panworth Hall Manor Binks Joseph blacksmith Blower David baker, parish clerk and sexton Blower Mr. William Boughen George carpenter and farmer Cater James farmer, landowner and parish constable Coker John farmer, Allotment farm Coker Mrs Sarah national schlmistress Coker William carpenter Dennis William miller Darsley John farmer and beer house Darsley Zachary farmer and vict. Crown Dursley Mrs. Ellen Edwards Rev. Bartholomew Rectory Franklin John brick and tile maker Garner John wheelwright Gathercole Rev. Edward Charles, B.A. curate Grimmer Charles & Henry grocers and drapers; and at Shipdham. Agents to the Norwich Union Insurance Co. Grimmer Henry grocer (C. & H.) and sub-postmaster, Post Office Horsley Robert farmer, traction and thrashing mchne. propr. & land ownr Lockwood John shoemaker Lockwood Robert farmer Lockwood William baker Miller James farmer & road surveyor, Uphall Manor House Nelson George butcher, farmer and victualler, White Hart Oldfield George steward to Mrs Sarah, Church farm Oldfield Mrs Sarah farmer and landowner, lime burner and brick and tile works, Home farm Reeve Mr Robert Sear Charles farmer, Lodge farm Sear Mrs. Phoebe farmer, Lodge farm Seed Edward farmer & road surveyor Smith George joiner and builder Twaites William shopkeeper Ward Robert shoemakerCoffee and Reading Room, open every evening, 1s. per quarter.
Copyright © Pat Newby.