ASHILL, a scattered village, on a commanding eminence, 3 miles N.N.W. of Watton, and 6 miles S.E. of Swaffham, has in its parish 637 souls, and 2970A. of land, in the manors of Uphall, Collards, and Gaines, of which Lord Ashburton is lord; and Panworth Hall, of which the Earl of Leicester is lord; but part of the soil belongs to several smaller owners.
The Church (St Nicholas) is a handsome fabric, in the pointed style, with a tower and six bells. It was repewed in 1827, and its east window is richly decorated with stained glass.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £19.13s.6½d., has 32A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £1010, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. B. Edwards is patron and incumbent.
Here is a National School, built in 1820.
The Church Land was exchanged at the enclosure for 3A. 10P., let for £4.10s. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1786, comprises 30A., let for £31.10s. a year. At the same time, two allotments were awarded to the owners or occupiers of messuages in the parish, not occupying more than £5 a year, viz., 5A., to turn their geese upon, and 58A. 24P., as a common pasture for their cattle.
Allcock John wheelwright Cadge Robert vict. White Hart Darsley Wm. schoolmaster & vict. Crown Edwards Rev Bartholomew Rectory Gardiner Morris grocer & draper Garner Stephen blacksmith Green Daniel baker and brewer Leggate Samuel miller Lockett Goddard Thompson Wm. carpenter Towler Mrs Twaits Wm. shopkeeper & shoemkr FARMERS. Boyce Eliz. Chandler Henry Hartt Robert Uphall Jary Robert Mallows Robert Oldfield Hy. Wrightup Thos.
Copyright © Pat Newby.