ASHBY, 7½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, and 3 N.N.W. of Loddon, is a parish in Loddon union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Loddon petty sessional division and hundred, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, and West Brooke rural deanery and Norwich Archdeaconry.
It had 200 inhabitants in 1881, living on 488 acres, and has a rateable value of £1071, and a gross estimated rental of £1166. The trustees of the late Robert Gilbert, Esq., are the principal owners of the soil, but Sir Charles H.S. Rich, Bart., is lord of the manor. Ashby Hall is a handsome modern residence of white brick, situated on an eminence, and commands extensive views.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a long structure of brick, flint, and rubble, and consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with three bells. The south doorway is of pure Norman character, with well executed chevron and other mouldings.
Sir Charles H.S. Rich, Bart., and Sir Reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp, Bart., are patrons of the living (the former has the next turn), which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, consolidated with Carleton-St.-Peter. The rectory house stands in this parish, and was built in 1858, at a cost of £900. The tithes of Ashby were commuted in 1840 for £172 a year, and here are 28 acres of glebe.
POST from Norwich, via Thurton.
Cooper Mrs. C.B. The Lodge Burroughs Daniel miller and farmer Cotton John farmer Daines Stephen farmer Fisher George Basey farmer Forder John market gardener Frost Joseph pig dealer and gardener Hawkins John market gardener Hurry William parish clerk, sexton, and shoemaker Shreeve Benjamin farmer Smith John Freeman shopkeeper Smith Wm. dairyman & mrkt. gardenr Starling James farmer Whiles Samuel market gardener Whitmarsh Rev. Robert Thos. rector of Ashby-with-Carleton-St.-Peter Worts Thos. jun. farmer, The Hall
For 'Norwich' archdeaconry, read 'Norfolk.'
See also the Ashby St Mary parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.