Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Ashby St. Mary

White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]

ASHBY, 7½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, and 3 miles N.N.W. of Loddon, has in its parish 263 souls, and 436 acres of land, belonging to several owners.

Sir Chas. H. Rich, Bart., is lord of the manor; and he and Sir W. B. Procter are alternate patrons of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £6, and consolidated with Carleton St. Peter, which see.

The CHURCH (St. Mary,) has a square tower and three bells. The tithes here have been commuted for £176 per annum.

Directory:-

Eldon       Richd.       wheelwright
Hupton      Rev. Job     Baptist minister
Mansfield   Daniel       beer seller
Mayes       Mr. James   
Smith       Robt. & Jno  shoemakers
Young       Wm.          miller
farmers
Basey       George
Bexfield    Jph.
Dunham      Mary
Forder      Saml.
Goodram     Wm.
Shreeve     Wm.
Smith       Wm.
Starling    Jas.

See also the Ashby St. Mary parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
November 1999