ARMINGHALL parish, 3 miles S.E. of Norwich, is in Henstead union, Norwich county court district, and bankruptcy district, Henstead hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Brooke rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 105 inhabitants in 1881, living on 638 acres, and had a rateable value of £1214. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are lords of the manor.
The Hall, long the seat of the Herne family, is a curious Elizabethan house of timber and moulded brick, with sunk panels, pillars, &c., of that period. Cotman mentions a tradition that some of the materials of this house were brought from Carrow Abbey.
The entrance doorway of the porch is of rich Decorated character, with two figures in niches on each side, having ogee canopies, pinnacles, crockets and finials. Another doorway at the back has the vine sculptured in the jambs; the lintel is of wood, carved in imitation of stonework. There is similar foliage in the large doorway. The doorway under the porch is Perpendicular, with the original oak door, having carved upon it a Latin inscription -- 'Orate pro anima magistri Wilhelmi Gladyn, qui fecit hoc hostium anno Christi 1487' (Pray for the soul of Mr. William Gladyn, who caused this door to be made and fixed here in 1487).
Over this doorway is a sunk panel filled with sculpture, representing the disobedient prophet pulled off his ass by a lion. Round the house and porch there are at intervals busts of men and women of the Elizabethan age in medallions, some of which have been recently restored. This house is now the property of Miss Ethel Primrose, and is occupied by a farm labourer.
The Manor House, a large ancient building, partly surrounded by a moat, is now a farm house.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a small structure, comprising nave, chancel, and square tower containing one bell, and was restored in 1876 at a cost of £1000, when the north doorway was walled up, and a new south porch erected. The body of the church was seated with open oak benches, and the stalls in the chancel bear the ancient richly carved oak heads; but some of the old open seats, with richly carved heads, still remain. A new carved oak pulpit was erected on a stone base by subscription, and a handsome lectern was presented by the builders. The walls, the north and south doorways, and several of the windows are Early English, the east window is a Perpendicular insertion, and the tower is Decorated. There is a low side (or leper's) window on the south side of the chancel, and near the north door is the holy water stoup. And here is also a piscina. A large marble tablet, dated 1697, records the death of Maria Herne.
The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the vicarage, which was certified at £80, and augmented from 1780 to 1810 with £600 of royal bounty. It is now worth £124 a year, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. E. Bellman, who resides at Pelham House, Earlham road, Norwich. The tithes have been commuted for £229 a year.
In 1722 Francis Herne charged a tenement here with £2 per annum for the poor, who have also an allotment of 2A. 1R. 25P., let for £7.12s.6d. per annum. A yearly rent of 20s., out of a gravel pit, is applied towards the repair of the roads.
POST from Norwich.
Parker Mr. George Parker Richard farmer Saul Robert blacksmith Waters Edward farmer, Manor House
See also the Arminghall parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.