ARMINGHALL parish, 3 miles S.E. of Norwich, has only 79 inhabitants, and 609 acres of land, of which 430A. belong to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, the lords of the manor, appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the Church (Virgin Mary,) which has a tower and three bells, and is a curacy, certified at £20, and valued in 1831 at £66. It was augmented, from 1780 to 1810, with £600 of royal bounty, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Charles Drake, of Norwich.
The Hall, now a farmhouse, is the property of the Hon. F. W. Primrose, and has a venerable and richly sculptured porch, built by Nicholas Herne, whose family was long seated here, but sold it to the Pettus family before Blomefield wrote.
In 1722, Fras. Herne charged a tenement here with £2 per annum, for the poor, who have also an allotment of 2A. 1R. 25P., awarded at the enclosure, with a yearly rent of 20s. out of a gravel pit.
Parker Geo. Wm. farmer Sand Robert blacksmith Waters Robt. farmer
See also the Arminghall parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.