ANTINGHAM, 2 miles N.W. of North Walsham, is in Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Walsham polling district of North Norfolk, North Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, and Repps rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 256 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1509 acres, and has a rateable value of £2442 2s. 6d., and a gross estimated rental of £2706 17s. 6d.
In the parish are two lakes or ponds, forming the principal sources of the river Ant, which was made navigable to the eastern boundary of this parish in 1827. On the lower pond a bone mill has been erected by Lord Suffield, who owns the whole parish, and is lord of the manor, which was formerly held by a family of its own name, under the Bigods. The Hall, anciently a seat of the Kemp family, is now occupied by Edward Darby Horsfield, Esq.
There were once two parish Churches here in the same enclosure; but that dedicated to St. Margaret has long been in ruins, and only a part of its tower now remains, mantled with ivy. Its rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., is consolidated with North Walsham. For this sinecure, the vicar of North Walsham receives £28 10s. per annum from the rector of Antingham, in lieu of tithes.
The CHURCH now in use is dedicated to St. Mary, and has a square embattled tower, with one bell, and contains several inscriptions to the Fermour, Keeson, and Kemp families, and a fine brass, on which are portrayed figures of Richard Calthorp, Esq., and his children. In 1864 it was restored and refitted with open seats, new pulpit, &c., at a cost of £430.
The font is of Purbeck marble, and here are two piscinas. A memorial window of stained glass, with four compartments representing the Crucifixion, the Resurrection, the Angel appearing to the Marys at the Sepulchre, and the Ascension, has been placed in the present east window by Mr. Abraham Coleman, of Knapton. A new porch to the church was erected in 1882, at an expense of £110, by the present rector, in lieu of the old one blown in half by the October gale of the previous year. A memorial painted window was placed in the south side of the chancel by the rector's family, representing the Marys.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 3s. 1½d., has the vicarage of Thorpe Market and the donative of Bradfield annexed. Lord Suffield is the patron, and the Rev. John Delphin, B.A., is the incumbent, and has 40 acres of glebe and £480 a year, awarded in 1839 in lieu of tithes. A new rectory house, in the Italian style, was built in 1844 at a cost of about £1700, of which £1000 were borrowed from Queen Anne's Bounty.
The poor have yearly 8s., left by Thomas Kirbye in 1630, and the value of two coombs of wheat out of Lord Suffield's estate, in lieu of an ancient commonright.
A School Board was established here for the five parishes of South Repps, Antingham, Bradfield, Gunton, and Thorpe Market in the year 1875 for a population of 1600. The School, built and endowed in 1826 by Edward, Lord Suffield, at a cost of £3000, has been enlarged by the addition of an infant school and two class-rooms. It is a spacious and handsome edifice of flint with brick dressings, in the Pointed style, and attached to it is a house for the master.
POST from Norwich, via North Walsham.
Amies Wm. E. Board schoolmaster Delphin Rev. John, rector of Antingham, vicar of Thorpe Market, B.A., J.P. and rural dean of Repps, The Rectory Empson George farmer Hammond Geo. frmr. & vict. Barge Inn Horsfield Edward Darby artificial manure manufacturer, bone crusher, guano and salt merchant, and farmer, The Hall; Antingham Bone Mills, and North Walsham Ives George farmer; h Bradfield Hall Renacre Mrs Henrietta Louisa Renacre Walter Henry farmer Thornton Mr Charles Ivy cottage Walpole Jonas blacksmith, wheelwright and farmer Watson Mrs Mary Wilkins John parish clerk
See also the Antingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.