There were anciently two parish CHURCHES here in the same enclosure; but that dedicated to St. Margaret has long been in ruins, and only a part of its tower now remains; and its vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 8d., is consolidated with North Walsham. For this sinecure, the vicar of North Walsham receives £28. 10s. per annum from the rector of Antingham, in lieu of tithes.
The church now in use is dedicated to St. Mary, and has a square embattled tower, with several inscriptions to the Fermour, Keeson, and Kemp families, and a fine brass, on which are portrayed figures of Richard Calthorp, Esq., and his children. It is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 3s. 1½d. Lord Suffield is the patron, and the Rev. John Dolphin, B.A., is the incumbent, and has 42A. of glebe, and £368. 10s. a year, awarded in 1839. in lieu of tithes. A new Rectory House, in the Italian style, was built in 1844, at the cost of about £1700, of which £1000 was borrowed from Queen Anne's Bounty.
The poor have yearly, 8s. left by Thomas Kirbye, in 1630, and the value of two coombs of wheat out of Lord Suffield's estate, in lieu of an ancient commonwright.
Allison James bone crusher Dolphin Rev John, B.A. Rectory Powell John blacksmith Thornton Charles shopkeeper Walpole Jonas vetny. surgeon Watts Iriland vict. Barge Wortley John schoolmaster FARMERS. Barcham Jededah (& maltster) Bell John carrier Coleman John Cranfield Wm. Crowe Elizabeth Helsdon Benj. Hewitt Jno. sen. Hewitt Jno. jun. Le Neve Wm. Page John Pratt Samuel Watts Iriland
See also the Antingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.