ANMER is a parish, 11 miles N.E. by N. of Lynn, and 4½ E. of Dersingham Railway Station, and is in Docking union, Lynn county court district and bankruptcy district, Freebridge Lynn hundred and petty sessional division, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn (Norfolk) rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 167 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1420 acres of land. The rateable value is £1537.
All the parish is in the occupation of its owner, Henry James Coldham, Esq., who is the lord of the manor, and resides at Anmer Hall. The Hall is surrounded by a park, and by extensive and flourishing plantations, which were greatly improved by the late James Coldham, Esq.
The CHURCH (dedicated to St. Mary) is long and narrow, and consists of chancel, nave, and western tower; with a porch on the south side, venerable for its stone roof, and a chapel at the south-east angle of the nave, open to the latter by a wide arch. This chapel is said by Blomefield to have been erected by Sir Oliver Calthorp in the fourteenth century.
The church contains some interesting examples of several styles of architecture from Early English to late Perpendicular, the latter being the predominant style of the present building. The old steps into the rood loft still remain, with the entrance into the loft, but the screen itself has disappeared. The tower contains two ancient bells, with the framework of a third. Considerable restorations have been carried out since the year 1876, the cost of those in the nave having been mainly defrayed by the patron, and of those in the chancel mainly by the rector.
The benefice, which is in the patronage of H. J. Coldham, Esq., valued in the King's Book at £9, now consists of the tithe charge commuted at £200, and 70 acres of glebe. The present rector is the Rev. Richard Palgrave Manclarke, M.A.
There is a mixed School, erected in 1873 by the lord of the manor.
POST from Lynn. Hillington is the nearest Railway Station.
Coldham Henry Jas. Esq. J.P. The Hall Derisley Jas. farm bailiff to H.J. Coldham, Esq. Griffin Charles head gardener Manclarke Rev. Richard rector; h Snettisham Palgrave, M.A. Oliver Miss Mary Ann schoolmistress Steel Miss Elizabeth shopkeeper
Copyright © Pat Newby.