ANMER parish, 11 miles N.E. by N. of Lynn, contains only 142 inhabitants and 1420 acres of land, all belonging to, and in the occupation of Henry Waller Coldham, Esq., the lord of the manor and patron of the living, who resides at Anmer Hall, a neat mansion surrounded by a park and extensive plantations. The latter are in a very flourishing state, and were greatly improved by the late James Coldham, Esq.
The Church (St. Mary) comprises nave with chapel on its south side, chancel, south porch, and battlemented tower with two bells. The south chapel, which was built by Sir Oliver Calthorpe, contains a piscina, and is of decorated architecture, but the remainder of the church is of the perpendicular period. There is a priest's doorway, with a window over it, in the chancel, and the stairs which led to the ancient rood loft still remain.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and now at £222, is in the incumbency of the Rev. John Coldham, M.A., of Snettisham.
The chief residents are -
Coldham H.W., Esq. Hall Derisley James farm bailiff Jervis Hy. parish clerk Steel James shopkeeperPOST via Lynn.
Copyright © Pat Newby.