ALPINGTON, a pleasant village and parish, on the southern acclivity of a lofty ridge, near Yelverton, 6½ miles S.E. by S. of Norwich, is in Loddon union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 162 inhabitants in 1881, living on 520 acres, and has a rateable value of £1063. E.W. Trafford, John Youngs and J. Seago, Esqrs., are the chief owners of the soil.
Its church was dilapidated many centuries ago, and no traces of it now remain. The living, a rectory, has been consolidated from an early period with that of Yelverton, on the opposite side of the hill, a parish with which Alpington was united also for the support of the poor till 1836. The tithes of the two parishes have been commuted for about £410 per annum.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded to the poor of Alpington at the enclosure, is 9A. 1R. 31P., let for £18 a year. They have also a share of Rant's Charity, as noticed with Yelverton.
Here is a small National School, supported by the rector of Yelverton, and used by children of both parishes.
BERGH APTON is nearest Post Office; Brooke nearest Money Order Office; and Norwich nearest Telegraph Office and Post Town.
Baldock John vict. Wheel of Fortune Belderson Miss Sarah shopkeeper Dodman John machinist Freestone James farmer Hazell John shoemaker Larkman T. & W. market gardeners Pitchers William farm bailiff Preston James farmer Whitmore Ephraim farmer Wright John market gardener Youngs John farmer; and brewer at Norwich Youngs W. B. farmerCARRIERS from Loddon to Norwich pass through on Wed. and Sat.
for '9A. 1R. 31P.' read '9A. 2R. 25P.;'
for '£18' read '£19 12s.'.
before 'supported' insert 'entirely'.
Copyright © Pat Newby.