Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Alderford

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ALDERFORD. on a declivity 3 miles S. by E. of Reepham, is a small parish of only 29 inhabitants and 432A. 1R. 19P. of land, in the manor of Swannington, and mostly the property of C.K. Tompson, Esq.

The Church (St. John the Baptist) is a small ancient building, comprising nave, chancel, porch, and square tower with one bell. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 6s. 8d., and now at £219, with the vicarage of Attlebridge annexed, is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Campbell Wodehouse, M.A., who has a good Rectory House. The tithes of this parish have been commuted for £149. 9s. per annum.

The chief residents are -

	        The Rector

	Gedge     George     gamekeeper
	Leamon    Philip     farmer
	Lynn      Thos.      victualler, Bell
	Newstead  Robert     parish clerk
POST OFFICE at the Bell. Letters desp. via Norwich, at 5 p.m.


See also the Alderford parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
November 2007