ALDBOROUGH, or Alborough, a pleasant village surrounding a level green, 5 miles N. by W. of Aylsham, is in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Erpingham petty sessional division and hundred, Aldborough polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 352 inhabitants in 1881, living on 769 acres, and had a rateable value of £959 17s. 6d., and a gross estimated rental of £2,201 7s. 6d. A small stock fair is held on the 21st and 22nd of June, unless the 21st fall [sic] on Saturday, when it is held on the following Monday and Tuesday.
Part of the parish is in Lord Suffield's manor of Hanworth, but a great part of the soil belongs to James Gay, Esq., who resides at New Hall, a handsome mansion, which was erected in 1636, and enlarged in 1818, and stands in a well-wooded lawn. The manor of Aldborough was long held by the De Herewards, and was carried in marriage by the heiress of T. Parker, Esq., to the Gays, about the close of the 16th century. Herbert Cook and George Gunton, Esqrs., Mr. James Bone, Mrs. Sutton, and some smaller owners have also estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a neat edifice, which was mostly rebuilt in 1847, at a cost of £750, and comprises nave with north aisle, chancel, and south porch, but no tower. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, now having 26A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £200, awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes. Lord Suffield is patron, and the Rev. Arthur Charles Davis, B.A. is the incumbent. The vicarage house was built in 1834.
Aldborough is united with Thurgarton for School Board purposes. The Church Land is 2A. 2R. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Sarah Wilkin's. Letters from Norwich viâ Hanworth arrive at 7.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m., and depart at 3.30 p.m. and 5.30 a.m. Hanworth is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Alborough Charles grocer and draper Austin Watts farmer Bacon Ezra wheelwright and carpenter Barton Samuel, B.A. surgeon, member Norwich Medico-Chirurgical (T.C.D.) Society, medical officer for North M.B., M.C. Erpingham, and Aylsham Union, public vaccinator, &c. The Villa Bone Henry glass, china, earthenware and general dealer Bone James (B. & Trollop), and farmer, Manor house Bone & grocers, drapers and outfitters, Trollop and at Thurgarton Burton -- farmer Burwick James basket maker, stationer and overseer Chapman Henry baker and currier Chapman Mrs Mary Elizabeth Cooke Wm. miller & frmr. & surveyor Culley William fish dlr. & greengrocer Davis Rev. Arthur rector, The Rectory Charles, B.A. Durrant William ironmonger and vict. Black Boys Inn Gay James landowner, The Hall Harris Henry parish clerk Hudson George Bradford general and furnishing ironmonger, tinner, brazier, agricultural implement dealer, oil and colourman, &c. Leamon Robert E. painter & plumber Miller John Nurse saddler and ironmonger, tanner and fellmonger, &c. Money John shoemaker and postman Perkins Charles watchmaker Robins Joseph William butcher Sistern Miss Maria Spurgeon William butcher and cattle dealer, and pork butcher Spurrell Charles shopkeeper Trollop Walter grocer (Bone & T.) Ward James wheelwright, &c. Wilkin Joseph vict. Red Lion Inn Wilkin Mrs Sarah postmistress Wilkin Thomas shoemaker & postman Williamson Crow fellmonger & glover Witham Frederick blacksmith Worts William blacksmith
Copyright © Pat Newby.