ALBY, a pleasant scattered village and parish, 5 miles N. by E. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aldborough polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 258 inhabitants in 1881, living on 818 acres, and had a rateable value of £1,689.17s.6d. and a gross estimated rental of £1,856.17s.6d.
W.F. Windham, Esq., and Messrs. John Amos, John Cooke, William Wicks, William Watts, and Isaac Temple, and some smaller owners, have estates here; but the Earl of Orford is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £7.11s.8d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Edwin Puckle, B.A., rural dean of Ingworth, who has a good residence, which was mostly rebuilt in 1843, at a cost of £600. The glebe is about 15A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £202 per annum
The CHURCH (St. Ethelbert), a small ancient building with a square tower, is at the west end of the parish, but most of the houses are about a mile to the east, and some of them half a mile west, near Thwaite Green. The school was built in 1853, but is only used on Sundays.
Post from Norwich, via Hanworth.
Amos John farmer, and Thwaite Blyth Dennis parish clerk; h Thwaite Culley Benjamin farmer Elden Robert Stratton victualler, Horse Shoes Inn Farrow Mrs Jane farmer Mack Mrs Clara farmer Puckle Rev. Edwin B.A. rector and rural dean of Ingworth, Rectory Rice Arthur frmr.; h Swanton Abbott Sistern John parish clerk of Thwaite, and shoemaker Temple Isaac farmer and overseer Witham Henry blacksmith
Copyright © Pat Newby.